Thursday, July 28, 2011

Just a spoonful of… lemon juice!

I think my favourite and most productive days are when I've gone to bed early the night before and had a really great sleep. Unfortunately this doesn't happen as much as I'd like. More often than not I hit my pillow a good hour after I planned. When it's time to get up in the morning my alarm clock blares an oldie but goody at what feels like the crack of dawn, or the birds outside my window don't sound quite as pretty as I remember... I drag myself into the bathroom, eyes still half shut. I know I am not the only one who feels like this in the mornings. In fact, an American study reveals that over one-third of us don't get enough nightly z's (US News World Report).

I'll save the benefits of sleep for another time. I'm here to tell you not all is lost if you do find yourself waking up on the wrong side of the bed... We can still get our day off to a great start – through nutrition. More specifically, with a mug of hot water and fresh lemon juice. The benefits to you, your system and vitality, doing this first thing every morning are astounding. See for yourself:
  • First things first, lemon cleanses and detoxifies your liver and kidneys, thus flushes toxins out of your body. This also means your skin will start to glow as a result (ladies!)
  • Lemons help alkalize your blood – too much acid in your system wears on it over time
  • Lemon juice has calcium, magnesium and potassium
  • Lemon water helps relieve heartburn, bloating and other digestion problems (guys!)
  • Lemons are high in vitamin C, which we all know is good for gums, bones, and overall health
Organic lemons are best since they don't contain pesticides that would leach in to your morning detox regimen. Lastly, I usually add a tap of cayenne in with my lemon water, just for that extra kick-start and ziiing!

Enjoy the journey... S

No comments:

Post a Comment